Saturday, December 8, 2007

My Mother

When you work a full time job, it makes it hard to get everything done that needs to be done around Christmas time. Sometimes at the end of my work day, I just feel so tired that all I want to do is go home and plop down on the couch and watch TV. I don't get to do that very often, but when I think about it, I don't really have that much that I have to do after work. On Wednesdays, I do go to choir practice, and one Tuesday out of the month I go to a ladies mission meeting, but other than that, my evenings aren't super busy. That brings me to the point of this post.

The other day when I felt so (*yawning and stretching*) "t-i-r-e-d" because of working, I thought about my mother. When I was growing up, my mom had to work full time. Not only that, she had four daughters. But when I compare myself to her, I fall sooo short of being what she was. She always cooked breakfast for us, every morning. I never cook breakfast during the week. She always came home from work and cooked us a nice dinner. I did cook dinner when my kids were home, now I do it sometimes. Twice a week she had to make sure I got to piano lessons, plus whatever my sisters were involved in. Every Saturday that rolled around she had to go grocery shopping and do all kinds of housework. She and dad always made sure that we had a very special Christmas. I don't think they were consciously thinking about making memories, but I have the most wonderful childhood memories of Christmas. But what gets me the most now when I think about it is this....After I was grown, married and had my first baby, my husband and I had to work the afternoon/night shift. My mother, who was a year older than the age I am now, would leave her full time job and pick up my baby and keep him until I got off work at 10:00 each night. That blows my mind! I think about how tired I am each night at my age, and then I realize that my mom babysat for me at this age after working all day. My mother is one amazing woman.

Mom is 75 years old now and doing well, except for her knee hurts all the time and keeps her from being able to get out and about very much. She goes to church and all, but can't really get out and do a lot of shopping or walking around. I ask her if I can help by doing some shopping for her, but she never really needs me to do anything. She's a great mother!

My new blogger friend, Julianarw, has passed these awards on to me. Thank you, Juliana! Even though my mom doesn't have a blog, I would like to give her and my dad the Christmas Spirit Award for always making our Christmas so wonderful. I pass the Bodacious Blog award on to my blogger friend, Sindi!






7 comments:

Juliana said...

Hi Kathy,

You are welcome ^.^

I also love my mom very much. For me, she is the best :D

Amel said...

GREAT post, Kathy! My Mom's also a super Mom like yours.

Your Mom has trouble with her knees? Does she take supplements? My Mom had trouble with her knees and after going to different doctors, we found out that her body had stopped producing the necessary "oil for the joints", so she's been taking glucosamine, chondroitin MSM supplements and it's been helping A LOT. I don't know if your Mom's problem is the same, though.

I'm glad she's well, though. :-))) My Mom's "only" 61 years old.

bp said...

I enjoyed reading about your Mom. I'm glad she is doing well.

Cliff said...

My mother passed away on Palm Sunday, 2004. In many ways she was a hero to me. Her father was the town drunk and her mother wasn't far behind. She didn't have the best life in her early 20's, but despite it all, she taught me to respect people.

What kept her going in her later years was being able to be mother to my handicapped brother, sister and myself.

Moms are amazing people. That's why the Bible calls them blessed.

Sandi said...

Kathy you are so right about mothers. My mother did so much too and never seemed or said she was tired. Thanks for making me think of mom that way.

Holly said...

this blog is so sweet. i dident have a mom to do all that stuff for me that you did. a lot of kids dont understand and take advantage of having a good mom. i have already decided i will go above and beyond loving aubrey and hopefully when she is your age, she will be able to say those same sweet things you just said about your mom. see ya tomorrow :)

Sindi said...

Thank you so much for the award. I really enjoy getting awards.:)