Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Emmanuel, God With Us

When I was in college I had to take a religion class as one of the required courses that everyone had to take. One research paper I had to do for that class was on one of the many names of God. I chose to do my paper on the name Emmanuel (also spelled Immanuel). This one word is so full of meaning. Simply put, it means "God with us." In the Old Testament, Isaiah prophesied that a virgin would give birth to a son and he would be called Immanuel. It is so amazing to think that God who is above all, God who is the creator of all, God who our finite minds cannot really even comprehend, this same God took on human form and left his glory in heaven to be with us. Emmanuel, God with us.

Mercy Me, one of the great Christian groups today, has a song called God With Us. I've added a video at the end so you can listen to this wonderful song.

Isa 7:14 - Show Context
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Mt 1:23 - Show Context
"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which means, "God with us."


Joh 1:14 - Show Context
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.



7 comments:

Cliff said...

Amen. Now God is not only with us but He dwells in the believer as the comforter.

You ask me how I know He lives...He lives within my heart.

bp said...

That's one of my husband favorite songs. We got their new cd.
I would like to do a study like this on Immanuel. Thanks!

Amel said...

Oohhhhh...that's a GREAT song! I never heard of them before, so THANKS for introducing them. I'd love to know more Christian bands. ;-E

Kay Day said...

I love the name Emmanuel! I have been contemplating a post on it, myself. So rich we cannot possibly comprehend what it really means to have God With Us!

I love this song, too!

Kathy said...

74wixy, Amen!

bp, That would really be an interesting study.

Amel, I'm glad you liked it. Another one you might like that is similar is Casting Crowns. Oh but you already know them, don't you?

Kay,I would love to read a post by you about Emmanuel.

Stylin said...

Hi Kathy,
Thats a great song.
The drummer for Casting Crowns(I think his name is Andy) goes to my step kids church.He' s cool and its amazing when you draw in kids and they love going to church

Amel said...

Hey, Kathy, I'm tagging you with this meme that I think you'll like:

The True Meaning of Christmas

And yeah, I've already known Casting Crowns he he he...