Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Gift

December has just started and I know some people who have already finished their shopping for Christmas! Not me, though; I only got started yesterday. I'm just not one to get everything done ahead of time as I have to first get finished with Thanksgiving, then church Christmas programs. But it's a lot of fun to shop for gifts to give the people I love. Sometimes I have to make myself stop buying because I keep seeing more things I want to give them. When I get the newly bought items home from the store, I put them in my special hiding place until I'm ready to wrap the gifts. When I finally get the gifts beautifully wrapped, I place them under the Christmas tree to wait for the time to come when I can give it to my loved one and watch the excitement on their face when they open it.

Each gift that waits under the tree until Christmas has a tag with a name on it. Therefore, each gift belongs to a specific person. But until Christmas arrives and that person actually receives the gift, they can't do anything with it or use it in any way. If there is an expensive shirt gift-wrapped and tagged with my husband's name, no matter how much it cost he cannot wear it or know anything about it until he's actually received the gift from me. It's his gift, I bought it for him, but he needs to take it and open it before it can do him any good.

There is a gift for you that has your name on it. It was given to you by God but you have to accept it and receive it. I know that most of my regular readers have already received the gift. It is the gift that God has given to us -- his son, Jesus. This is what Christmas is all about -- it's about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, God's gift to mankind. This gift is life-changing, I know because He has changed my life. I am a different person from what I would be without Jesus. It's real, He's real, and it's powerful. If you feel that you would like to know more about Jesus, please find my email link on my profile and I would be more than happy to talk with you about it.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. Romans 10:9-10

9 comments:

Cliff said...

Kathy,

Very good post. Thank you for keeping Christ in Christmas.

Holly said...

agreed!!!

matt said...

Like the post!

Amel said...

It's my first Christmas here where we exchange gifts (Christians in Indo don't exchange gifts, except sometimes when there are some events at church where you're required to bring something, but this is rare), and I've had SO MUCH FUN trying to pick gifts for my new family members he he he he...

This post is a WONDERFUL reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. :-))) May we not forget it.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying out the "nickname" option to see how that works.

74wixygrad, thanks! It's important to keep Christ in Christmas, but easy to lose the focus.

Holly, thanks for visiting!

Matt, great! Have a wonderful day.

Amel, I didn't know that gifts are not exchanged in Indo. I know you'll have fun this year with all the gift giving.

Stylin said...

Hi Kathy
Thats a brilliant post!

I' m done with all my gifts !I have to get my mailman a gift card but other than that I am done !I' m like you I love to buy stuff for other people and have to stop myself.
PS:Did you get my email on the vintage dress ?Would love to post it on the blog

Kathy said...

Frasypoo, I did get your email. I tried to take a picture but I didn't get it quite right. I'll have to get my hubby to take one and then I'll send it to you.

Juliana said...

Hi Kathy,

What happened to me yesterday is because God help me? I wish you visit my blog and read what happened to me yesterday on "All in one day" ^_^;;

Oh, Kathy. Can i put yours at my blogroll? So, it will easy for me to comeback again later. I like your blog :) And will you put mine also at your blogrol ^_^;;

Sindi said...

Kat,
I totally loved this post. I always love to hear about Gods great gift to us, I think I should say gifts because not only did He give us His son but He blesses us with gifts every single day. I love to think that gift giving at Christmas symbolizes the gifts given to us by God in our everyday lives.