Monday, September 17, 2007

A Weekend with No Plans

This weekend I didn't have anything planned at all, except going to church on Sunday. It's funny how quickly new plans can come up when I think I have nothing planned. It all started Friday night -- before I even left work that day, I got an email from my youngest sister wanting us to meet her at a Mexican restaurant for dinner that night. She was craving Mexican! So my husband and I met her and her three children for a nice meal -- her hubby is a firefighter and had to work. I always enjoy her kids because they are so much fun. The oldest is 8 and the twins are 4, and they keep us entertained!

Saturday morning my husband left out on a bus trip (his part time job) for the day and it looked like I was going to have yet another Saturday to do whatever I wanted. I started cleaning and doing laundry and all the things I don't have time to do during the week. Then my mother-in-law called and I suddenly remembered it was her birthday. She invited us to her house that night because her son (Eddie's brother) was cooking a turkey in the smoker. I didn't want to go by myself since Eddie was out of town, so I called my daughter and asked if she'd like to come home and go with me. Her college is only about 1 hour away from home, so she was glad to come home and go with me, but she said she wouldn't stay and spend the night because she'd promised her friend they would go to church together the next morning. So, we enjoyed visiting my mother-in-law and watching the Alabama football game with my brothers-in-law. It's always more fun to watch your favorite team play when there are other fans around too. I enjoyed getting to spend some time with my daughter!

Sunday, after going to church, I thought I'd have all afternoon to rest and then I would go to a new class at church at 5:00. My son called and said his band would be traveling through our city after their show and asked if it would be okay for them to stop here and eat and shower. I said, of course! I told him to tell me what they wanted to eat and I'd have it here ready. Then a few minutes later I called him back to find out how many guys I'd need to feed and he said they wouldn't be coming after all because their trailer was having problems again and they might have to cancel a few shows and go home to get it fixed. So, I settled down on the couch to read my book and rest since I no longer had to worry about fixing a lot of food. Then he called again and said they decided not to cancel shows and they would be coming this way, and could I still have food for them. So, I had about an hour to run to Wal Mart and buy the stuff and get back home and get to church on time. I made it there and back and got to the class on time! Then before I went to bed last night, I cooked the food and had it ready for them. They got here after I was asleep, about 11:30. He woke me up and I was glad to get to see my boy! It was the first time I've seen him with his new haircut. Then they left again around 1:30 a.m. to drive through the night to Tampa. I wish I could send those guys on a cruise! They need a little luxury in their lives.

So, that was my unplanned weekend! I'm sure glad I didn't have anything planned!

"...For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future...." Jeremiah 29:11

3 comments:

Amel said...

OOOHHHH...what a story!!! I'm glad everything worked out well and you got to spend some time with your loved ones, esp. your kids!!!!! ;-D

Missy said...

No plans seem to always mean busy. But no plans means you were able to spend precious time with your family without feeling pressure to change. Sounds like you had a good weekend! :)

Kathy said...

Amel, I really did enjoy the weekend and the time with my kids and relatives.
Strawberry, you are right -- it was good to be able to do these things without having to worry about other obligations.