Friday, September 28, 2007

Old House Story

I love this old house, and I have a little story about it. When my daughter was starting 7th grade, we went to an open house for the school. That was the first time I saw this beautiful old house across from her new school. There was a sign outside with the name of the business that uses the house, so I told my husband that I wanted to work there because it was so beautiful. He didn't pay much attention to me about it, but within a few days I called the place, a lawyer's office, and asked them if they needed to hire anyone. They told me to come for an interview and bring a resume'. So I did. When I walked in and saw how it was decorated, I fell in love. And then I saw a grand piano in there! The attorney took me into a parlor type room for my interview. He explained that the offices were on the second floor. I guess the first floor was just for show, and it was gorgeous! The interview went well, and he offered me the job even though I had never worked in the legal field. I guess I convinced him that I could learn anything I set my mind to learn. He said it would be fine for my daughter to walk over there after school each day, so I thought this was sounding really good. Then he asked me if I could teach him piano (for free) as part of my job. I was like, well, uh, okay, I guess. But then he didn't even want to pay me the amount I was asking for, so I was beginning to have some doubts about it. The next day I called him on the phone to ask a few more questions about the job and I just didn't care for his attitude and some of the things he said, so I backed out and did not go to work there after all. I figured he'd probably be pretty hard to work for anyway. But the whole thing was silly in the first place. I mean, who goes and applies for a job somewhere just because it's a beautiful old house with beautiful antique furniture???

8 comments:

Nina said...

The house is gorgeous and it was not silly! Old houses have so much character and appeal, I can totally see applying for a job for no other reason than that. Now if you had accepted the job and worked for someone who was difficult and didn't pay well just because of the house -- THAT would have been silly. What if you had never checked it out? You would have wondered every time you saw the house what it would have been like to work there.

sister sheri said...

You're a riot! Yes, Rush of Fools is all over my ipod these days!

Stephanie said...

It is a cool house, and hey had the guy not been so weird, it could have been a great opportunity. You never know what may happen in the future!

Sandi said...

I'd look at it this way. You found a way to see the inside of the house you love.

Amel said...

Interesting story!!!

It was weird that he asked you to teach him piano for free as part of your job, though. Glad you didn't take it after all. ;-D

Kathy said...

Nina, thanks for the support! I should have asked him if I could try out the piano.

Sheri, glad you stopped by!

Skittle, yeah, sometimes when I answer the phone at my present job, that guy calls for someone and I always think, Oh I hope he doesn't recognize my voice!

Sandi, that is a very good point. I am glad that I found a way to see the inside. Maybe that was all I wanted anyway.

Amel, yeah, I thought that was kind of a weird request on his part. I'm glad also that I didn't work there. I ended up working in another building I had once said I would like to work in -- it's a very nice old building decorated beautifully with antiques also.

Amel said...

Hi, Kathy, I'm tagging you with SEO meme...this one isn't technical, don't worry! ;-D

SEO Tag

Denise said...

What a cool story.