Monday, September 24, 2007

The Best Birthday Present

September 24! As I was growing up, this was the date that I was more familiar with than any other date. It was a very special day to me, but as an adult, it has become even more special. This is to my son...

Dear Aaron, it was 1:00 a.m on September 24, 1982, my 24th birthday, when your dad and I were about to go to sleep for the night. But for some reason, I sat up in the bed and at that moment I knew it was time to call the doctor and possibly go to the hospital. We went, and spent that whole day waiting for your arrival. Well, to be honest, I wasn't just sitting there waiting, I was having some serious labor pains! Finally, around 9:00 that night, we were able to at last see you and hold you in our arms. The English language does not have words that are adequate to describe what a wonderful gift you were. You were the best birthday present I have ever received. From that day forward, you and I have shared this birthday. I wish you the happiest of happy birthdays today as you turn 25. You have made us so proud. I'll never forget the time when you were about 3 years old and we were talking about something I can't remember, maybe about getting you a certain toy, but you were perfectly satisfied with what you already had and you told us, "I have plenty toys." And I remember one day when you were maybe 10 or 11 and you had been playing in your treehouse with one of your friends -- you came in the house and told us that you had been telling your friend about Jesus and that he had become a Christian. And when you were one of the older teens in the youth group at church getting ready for the mission trip, I remember how late you stayed working at the church the night before leaving to get all the music equipment ready for the trip -- you wouldn't leave it all up to the youth minister to do it all, you felt such an urgent need to help. I remember the mission trip to Washington D.C. and how you played the drums with the praise band right there in the courtyard of the Pentagon! And when we finished doing all the worship music, you and the guys broke into "Freebird"! I remember all the different bands you've been a part of. And I remember how scary it was to me when you told me that you and the other guys in the band were moving out of your houses and going on the road full time to minister to teens who might not hear about Jesus in the traditional ways. But you've done it and you've made it. I know you are doing exactly what you feel the Lord wants you to be doing at this time. I admire you for living your dream. Most people wouldn't have taken the risk.

I will miss getting to see you today on our birthday, but I want you to know that I love you with all my heart. I want the best of everything for you, but most of all I just hope that you will always love the Lord and serve Him. I pray for you every day and I thank God for giving you to us, my best birthday present! Love, Mom

11 comments:

Stylin said...

I had chills when I read this because my step sons birthday is today and he is such a great young man too!!
I always say that a child is somewhat of a reflection of his parents.So Kathy...you and your husband did a great job.And the other part is entirely your sons approach to life.It is indeed a blessing to have wonderful children
Happy Birthday to him.

Kathy said...

And a happy birthday to your stepson, too! Thanks for your comment.
I hope you guys get to go and hear my son's band when they are in your area -- I'll let you know when they'll be there.

Amel said...

OHHHHH this is SO lovely, Kathy. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Aaron and you as well. May God continue to pour enlightenment and wisdom upon you too so that you can spread more of His light everywhere...

It's GREAT to have the same birthday with your son he he he he...

Kathy said...

Amel, thank you!! Yes, it has been such a special thing to share my birthday with my firstborn child!

Stylin said...

Oops I forgot to wish you!!Happy Birthday Kathy.May you have many wonderful years filled with happiness and great blogging

Kathy said...

Thanks Frasypoo! You are sweet! I really am enjoying this blogging thing.

Sandi said...

Happy Birthday to you Kathy and your son Aaron. It is hard not seeing a child on their birthday. You must of bring a great mom to him for the things you shared show he cares about the life of others too. I pray God will continue to bless you and your family.

Nina said...

This is kind of late but I hope you and your son both have had a Happy Birthday! What a neat thing to share with your kid!

Kathy said...

Sandi and Nina, thanks to both of you for the kind birthday wishes. It has been a wonderful day and I have been greatly blessed!

Missy said...

Let me add by Birthday wishes for you and Aaron. Hope you have had a wonderful, blessed day and had the chance to talk to your son!

Your post to him was awesome. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and heart with those of us in cyberspace!

Kathy said...

Strawberry, thank you so much! I did get to talk to Aaron and I thoroughly enjoyed it!