Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Missing What You Never Had

Have you ever heard the expression that you “can’t miss what you never had”? Do you believe that statement? Can you miss something or someone you never had? I believe that you CAN miss what you never had. Some people may not even realize they are missing something, yet they are constantly looking for it. I notice that so many people don’t seem to have contentment in life. They are always looking for something new or someone new to fill the void that is ever present. They may become satisfied for a while, but then they start looking again and again trying to find that missing piece in their life. I honestly believe that most of the time, what these people are missing is a relationship with Christ, the God who created them. I can’t even imagine what life would be like without knowing the peace, the love and the contentment that comes from my relationship with Jesus Christ. If anyone reading this feels that you are missing something you never had, please start searching the Word of God. You may find exactly what you need to fill the void.

The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble. Proverbs 19:23

If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment. Job 36:11

7 comments:

prin said...

My mom left when I was two, and people used to ask me if I felt I missed out on having a mom, and I always answered, "You can't miss something you never had." I think it's true. You just don't have a clue what you're missing. You may not feel fulfilled, but pin pointing the source is difficult to do when your eyes aren't opened to it.

Cliff said...

Kathy, what I think you are referring to is called a "God shaped vacuum." No one is complete without the piece that fits, and that would be the peace of God, which passes all understanding.

bp said...

I see so many people who are searching. I notice the lack of contentment too. It's not something you can teach people though, they have to want it on their own.

Kathy said...

Hi Prin, I have a nephew whose mom left him when he was very young also. I always wondered how it would affect him after he grew up. He is grown now, and I've never heard him talk about it. I've always wondered what he thought about not having a mother in his life.

Cliff, that's exactly what I had in mind. It makes me think about a Rebecca St. James song where she says there's a God-shaped hole in all of us.

BP, you are right, people have to want it!

Jodee said...

Hi Kathy,
I was adopted when I was baby and grew up not knowing my biological family. I had one adopted brother, but always yearned for a sister. In 1997, God brought my biological family to me. Some say it's a coincidence, but it was definitely His plan. No one will ever replace my parents who raised me, but I'm so thankful to have my sister (full blood) and 6 other biological sibings! Four of the seven are Christians and I hope the others come to know Christ as well!

www.upwardfitness4you.com

Momstheword said...

Hi. Found you on Kay's blog. When I was 3, my family moved to a town from a small ranching area. Whenever I visit there, I have a strange homesick feeling that can't really be explained. I just feel as though I should have grown up there.

Kathy said...

Momstheword, I know exactly what you mean. As long as I can remember I have had a mental picture of a place where I want to live and I have that strange homesick feeling for it. I keep wanting to find that place even though I don't know where it is. I always think that when I see it, I'll know it's the place. It's so weird!