Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Losing Weight

I have a doctor's appointment coming up in April. I hate the part when you have to get weighed, but I know it has to be done, so I would like to lose a few pounds by then if I can discipline myself. I've tried to change my eating habits but I haven't done very well with that, so I decided instead to start exercising more. Really, all I'm doing is trying to walk 10,000 steps a day. I'm using a pedometer, and on a normal day without adding extra steps, I usually walk about 5,000 - 6,000 steps. So far, I haven't made it up to 10,000 steps, but yesterday I walked 9700. I really believe if I can start walking 10,000 steps a day, I should lose a few pounds without changing my eating. I guess this will be an experiment to see if it works. Of course, the only way I'll know if I lost weight is by the way my clothes fit because I am not ready to face the reality of my weight yet. It's hard to face the truth right now because for many years my weight stayed between 110 and 115 without even trying. I was able to eat whatever I wanted. But then middle age set in and everything changed. If this doesn't work I guess I'll have to go to Weight Watchers. I know that works -- my friend has just lost over 60 pounds during the past year and she looks great!

So, here I am trying to lose weight my own way -- not wanting to make the effort to go to a place that I know works and will give me the support I need to lose the few pounds I need to lose. Aren't we like that in our Christian walk sometimes? We try to take matters into our own hands and fix problems ourselves without praying or looking into the Bible to find the message God might have for us. We want a quick fix, or results that we can see immediately. But like the slow, steady weight loss that happens with Weight Watchers, sometimes we can't immediately see how God is working in a situation to meet our needs in his perfect way. He needs to be our starting point, not a last resort!

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. Psalm 130:5

10 comments:

Amel said...

GOOD LUCK on losing weight, Kathy and I LOVEEEEEEEEEE your beautiful message on our need to make God our starting point, even though we may not understand how He's working in a situation. :-)))

bp said...

"He needs to be our starting point, not a last resort!" I love this.

I've counted the steps in the past too. Most days it is hard for me to get to 10,000!!

Kathy said...

Amel, thanks! I'm really going to try at this walking thing.

BP, you are so right - it is hard to get to 10,000. At least I do a good bit of walking at my job so that helps a lot.

Beth said...

thank you for stopping by my blog, and its nice to know people that understands!

Pilgrim said...

One step at a time Kathy.

Lori said...

Ohhhh how true your words are! I'll be praying for you to lose those pounds. They do say walking works!

Love Ya,

Lori

Sandi said...

I did 10,000 steps and drank lots of water for awhile a few years ago and lost close to 60lbs. Yes I gained some back. I think I will do it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Kathy said...

Beth, I'm glad you stopped by my blog also!

Pilgrim, one step at a time, I got over my 10,000 yesterday!

Lori, I hope it will work for me! But even if it doesn't, I know it's good for me to get exercise.

Sandi, I am glad to know it worked for you, that is encouraging! Now, I need to drink more water also.

Kay Day said...

You can do it!!
I posted about my own weight loss on my Write Eating blog. I even put some pictures.

Amel said...

You got over your 10,000? WOWWW!!! CONGRATS to you. That must've felt good! ;-D

Have a BLESSED weekend, Kathy! ;-D