Sunday, February 10, 2008

Weather Talk

We had the most beautiful weather this weekend. Saturday was so sunny there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was warm enough to go out without a jacket. I felt like I had to be outside so I wouldn't waste a great day. It gave me a great excuse not to do housework!

Aren't you thankful we have weather? Because as long as we have weather, we always have something to talk about. Maybe you aren't conversationally challenged like I am, being a quiet person by nature, but sometimes I'm not sure what to talk about. But I've noticed that everyone can always talk about the weather, for example....it's a beautiful day today; I wish it would stop raining; oh, it's so cold out there; this heat is killing me; etc., etc. If we can so easily talk about the weather to anyone and everyone, why is it so hard for Christians to say something out loud about Jesus? I mean, think about it, how many times at work do you bring up the name of Jesus to your co-workers? For me, it's really not very much. I do with my friends who I know are committed Christians, but with other people, I just talk about the weather or other unimportant things. Jesus is "God with us" and he went to the cross and died there, taking the punishment for my sins, and then was resurrected. His tomb is empty! This is exciting! Why am I not telling every single person I meet about what He did and how He can change their life? Am I afraid of what they'll think about me? If I tell people about Jesus in a loving way, then I shouldn't even have to worry about what they think about me. I should be more concerned about what God thinks about me.

Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven. Matthew 10:32-33

11 comments:

bp said...

Excellent point. We were talking about this very verse today in our mentoring class.

Amel said...

GREAT reminder, Kathy. ;-D However, I find that in my life there have been too many people talking about praying and Jesus and stuff, but in their business life, they do anything they can to excel. My Dad has experienced it a few times in his working life.

Cliff said...

So....I bet you're glad you're not in Cleveland, Ohio right now. Temperatures are in the single digits.

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of one of my favorite Casting Crowns songs -- "Here I Go Again". It's a powerfully convicting song. The guy is repenting of not telling his lost friend about Jesus, and says he'll do better... the chorus goes.. " but here I go again, talking bout the rain, and mulling over things that won't live past today. And as I dance around the truth, that time is not his friend, this might be my last chance to tell him that you love him... but here I go again."
The song literally made my knees buckle with conviction the first time I heard it. Your post about talking about the weather instead of eternal things really hit the nail on the head.
Nina

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Sorry for the duplicate, I was in a hurry. Please delete me, let me go - hey that was a good song too:)

Kathy said...

BP, that's cool that you were talking about the same verse in your class.

Amel, yes, people will always disappoint us but Jesus never will.

74Wixy, I am so glad I'm not up there in that cold weather!

Nina, I went and pulled out my old Casting Crowns CD and that song is on it so I listened to it. I remembered it then, but I had forgotten all about that song. A lot of their songs are convicting!

sister sheri said...

Kathy - keep challenging us...

Kentucky Bound said...

As our pastor so eloquently puts it from time to time, "is your phone ringin'?" As has happened so many times recently, this post struck a cord with me. 'Scuse me, my phone is ringin'. I really NEED to answer it!

Blessings

Sandi said...

Kathy that is so true. Why isn't it as easy to talk about Jesus? I think it is time for Christian to take a firm stand and change that. However I know of some businesses in my area if you talk about Reliegion you will be fired.

Stylin said...

Hi Kathy
We are doing"The way of the master "in sunday school and its fantastic!